- PBA Coach being recommended for Knicks staff
- NBA Awards, Part II: All-NBA, All-Defense, & All-Rookie Teams
- NBA Awards, Part I: MVP, DPOY, and more
- Hawks Rout Hornets; Clinch 5th Seed
- Eyeing Postseason, Hawks grab key wins
- Disaster Averted: Hawks squander lead, squeak by Suns
- The Enigma of Avery Bradley
- Wichita State shocks Dayton, advances to second round
- No. 5 Notre Dame fends off No. 12 Princeton
- PBA Commissioner’s Cup opens on March 17
Star sent Marqus Blakely packing for Joel Wright
- Updated: August 6, 2016
Star Hotshots replaced long time import Marqus Blakely with Joel Wright during the All-Star break midway through the current Philippine Basketball Association’s (PBA) Governor’s Cup.
The change comes after rumors that the franchise is being sold by the San Miguel Corporation conglomerate.
Blakely is in the forefront of the Hotshots’ campaign but with a 1-3 win-loss record in the season ending conference, the team decided to go on a different direction by hiring the services of the former National Basketball Association (NBA) Developmental League (D-League) standout.
The signing was confirmed by Star team manager Alvin Patrimonio.
Wright, a 26-year old forward from Bakersfield Jam, averaged 14.2 points, 6.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists, and 1.2 steals in 37 games during the 2015-2016 season. He went undrafted during the 2014 NBA Rookie Draft.
Aris Ignacio is from the Philippines and has always been a big fan of Philippine basketball. Aris’ follows the Philippine Basketball Association since the late 80’s and has learned the history and personalities of the PBA. He also has interest with other basketball tournaments in the Philippines and beyond most specifically college basketball (UAAP, NCAA), the Asian Basketball League (ABL), FIBA Asia and World Cup tournaments. Global Basketball is Aris’ second writing assignment besides Asia-basket.com. Follow Aris Ignacio on Twitter at aris_ignacio.